Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Freedom. What a terrifyingly wonderful thing.

For the first time in... I'd say three years, I have complete freedom to do whatever my heart desires when it comes to my artwork. There is not one rule, no restrictions on mediums, no setup to work from, no teacher that comes over to draw over what you feel you have worked on so hard. I'm left there with my thoughts, a few helpful comments, and time; Time to do anything, make ANYTHING I want. There is so much freedom! Finally! A set block of time designated to MY work. 

And I sit there lost, grasping at tiny ideas and rarely catching one that seems to be completely worth the time. It's a lot of freedom to just be dropped on me. Kind of intimidating, especially when I am surrounded by amazing peers. 


It's a block of time to figure out myself and where I stand in my education. Time to push myself to take ahold of those tiny ideas and run with it. So that is my 'path' and there is no real destination, and I don't think I want one. I want to learn to feel comfortable expressing anything and everything I can in my work. My plan is to destroy something and feel great about it. After many tears last semester, I'm ready to stop viewing something as 'precious' and let it go wild. 

No comments:

Post a Comment